Friday, September 16, 2016

Simplicity 2369

It's been several weeks since I made this, but somehow or other I just hadn't gotten around to blogging about it. Perhaps because I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it.
The pattern is new to me, Simplicity 2369. It's been in my pattern stash a while, and I really like the lines of it. The front is a true wrap, just over the bodice. The left bodice and skirt are one piece, with the right wrap tying on the side. It sound more complicated than it is. Construction was pretty straightforward.
The back is sleek with a center back seam for fit precision. I added a little width through the hips and the fit is fairly good.
This is view A, but I omitted the sleeve elastic for a more angel-type sleeve as seen on view C. I also lengthened the skirt by 7 inches. It's not shown on a model on the pattern envelope, so I guess they intended it to be a midi-length? It was quite unflattering for me as drafted, but I do love a good maxi dress, so here we are.
So far, so good, but I think the fabric I chose is a bit thin for this. It's a lightweight ITY. There is no lump and bump coverage in the design, so I'm wearing pretty substantial underpinnings here. Had I used a firmer knit, that mightn't have been an issue, but as it is, this will have to be a church dress rather than the casual, running around dress I had in mind.
I do like the pattern though, and I think I'll try out the top version, but if I make the dress again, I'll use a more substantial fabric to minimize the need for Spanx.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is one of my favorite patterns, and it looks great on you as a maxi. I'm pretty sure I shortened it a bit to come up just above my knee. I think you're right--as printed it's kind of in no man's land.

Sewing Elle said...

That pattern is in my stash too, currently unused. Love your version, and the length. Midi length is hard to wear for so many of us.

Shirleanne said...

This is fantastic! I love the fabric you chose and definitely worth having to wear spanx underneath just to have it in this fabric.

Cynthia said...

Love everything about this! Looks so comfortable :)